Overtime Lawyer – Handle Your Employer’s Unfair Treatment Of You

Overtime law is a Federal Matter that deals with discrimination of employees who receive or expect to receive overtime pay for the hours worked over regular working hours. It is important to understand that this means you are not entitled to those same benefits if your employer does not allow you to earn such overtime, such as in hotels and restaurants. You must file a lawsuit in Federal Court if your employer attempts to prevent you from filing this lawsuit on your own. You may want to check out Houston Overtime Lawyer-The Hedgpeth Law Firm PC for more. The first step you should take is to inform your employer that you intend to file an unfair labor practice charge based upon your work hours. If your employer then contacts you to attempt to persuade you to refrain from filing the complaint, you need to tell them why it would be in your best interest to file the charge.

Often times your employer may try to convince you that they only deserve a few extra dollars in compensation, but they do not care whether you receive this money or not. Overtime compensation is meant to be paid for actual hours worked, and it is not a matter of determining an hourly rate. For example, if you are eight hours late picking up your child from daycare and you are told that you are entitled to only two more hours of pay because you were eight hours late, your employer may try to persuade you to hire an overtime lawyer to represent them in court. This may not always work in your favor. An Overtime Lawyer will know exactly what the Fair Labor Standards Act means to you and what the regulations state that your employer must follow when you are working.

A good Overtime Lawyer will also know how to handle the matter when small businesses try to avoid paying their employees overtime compensation by telling their employees that they cannot receive any additional compensation for the time they have worked. Often times these employers will threaten to report you to the Attorney’s General if you do so. The Attorney’s General will then receive a complaint about your employer’s illegal behavior. If your employer does not respond to the complaint within a reasonable amount of time you can call us today and have the unfair treatment of your employer stopped cold.